Ice skating is an exciting activity the whole family can share, and the rink is completely covered – rain or shine, the fun will go on whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or an advanced ice skater. Enjoy a magical ice-skating experience in Wellington, New Zealand.
Benefits of Ice Skating:
1. Improves Posture – Ice Skating will help to improve with your body’s posture, by balancing on a thin blade of metal will make the skater contract all their muscles of the abdomen and the legs, which will lead to a result of stronger core muscles which are important for good posture.
2. Burns Calories – Ice Skating works nearly every muscle group in the body and that body movement means that it burns a lot of calories in a short time.
3. Improves Flexibility – Ice Skating requires the skaters to stretch their body continuously to achieve motion and maintain balance.
4. Improves Health – Ice Skating is beneficial for cardiovascular health – it gets blood pumping and the heart rate up.
5. Helps Destress – Ice skating is among the very few exercises which are a lot of fun to be a part of and yet, healthy for the body. An hour of time on the ice rink can help you relax and destress after a rough week at work. As we all know, a healthy mind keeps the body healthy as well
1. Make sure that you have the right sized skates, you don’t want to chance wearing a size too big which could cause the risk of twisting your ankles.
2. Secure your skates correctly, making sure that they’re fastened correctly. Securing your skates correctly will help in your ice skating performance, which helps make you feel stable and steady on the ice, without your feet turning inwards.
3. Take your time whilst you are on the ice especially if you are a beginner, gliding around the ice isn’t easy for anyone as it requires practice. Simply start by holding on to the side barrier and taking short, marching steps. When you are feeling confident, then let go of the side barrier and start to glide your way around the ice rink.
4. Avoid looking down at your feet and try your best to keep your head up and look straight ahead in the direction that you want to go.
5. To help keep good posture on the ice, bend your knees slightly and put your arms out to steady yourself. Try putting one arm out in front of you and the other slightly out to the side.
Top Ice Skating Spots in Wellington
1. Frosty Spot Ice Rink
Address: unit 13a/25 Blenheim Street, Upper Hutt 5018, New Zealand
Telephone: 04 979 9426
|Sunday – Thursday – 10:00am – 8:00pm|
|Friday & Saturday – 10:00am – 10:00pm|
|Hours might differ during School Holidays and Tournaments|
|Children (6yrs & Under) – $7.50|
|Children (7-17) – $12.50|
|Student with ID – $16.00|
|Adult – $17.50|
|Seal Skating Aid Hire – $10|
|Helmets – $2|
|Ice Rink Private Hire – $400|
Frosty Spot Ice Rink in Upper Hutt is based inside Daytona Raceway and
has a large indoor ice rink using high quality ice skating equipment.
Frost Spot Ice Rink has a great friendly atmosphere and is a perfect place for fun for everyone to enjoy! Ice skating is not only enjoyable it’s also great exercise and helps them develop a new skill, with you alongside them. You can also hire the ice rink at Frosty Spot Ice Rink inside Daytona Raceway.
2. Wellington Figure Skating
Address: UNIT 13A BREWTOWN, 25, Blenheim Street, Upper Hutt 5018, New Zealand
|Monday & Tuesday – 12:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Wednesday – 12:00pm – 6:00pm|
|Thursday – 12:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Friday – 12:00pm – 10:00pm|
|Saturday – 10:00pm- 10:00pm|
|Sunday – 10:00am – 6:00pm|
|$150 for 10 lessons|
Wellington Figure Skating operates out of the Frosty Spot Indoor Ice Skating Rink at the Daytona Raceway site. They cater for beginners as well as intermediate and advanced ice skaters from the ages of 4 years through to adults.
Address: 21 Cable Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Telephone: +64 9-273 2999
Paradice Ice skating rink in Wellington, New Zealand and is a short walk from the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. Paradice Skate School classes are designed for beginner to advanced skaters from the ages of 4 years up – you’re never too old to start. Our most mature beginner started at the age of 65.
Paradice Events is part of the Paradice Ice Skating Brand. Since the 1970’s they have been delivering Ice Skating Entertainment for New Zealand.
With portable ice rinks and equipment such as an ice slide, snow dome, indoor & outdoor igloos and an ice bar, creating that unforgettable wonderful winter wonderland magical event for the whole family to enjoy.
Planet Ice Gillingham with it’s friendly atmosphere and popular location, is fun for all the family! Ice skating is not only fun and a good choice with children, it’s also great exercise and helps them develop a new skill, with you alongside them.
Planet Ice Gillingham offers a selection of skating sessions for you to choose from depending on the age and ability of the group you’re bringing. They have Public and Disco Sessions, Birthday Parties and Hockey Basics courses, as well as practice time for figure skaters and hockey teams of all ages! So whichever frozen discipline you prefer there’s a time and a space for you here at Planet Ice Gillingham!
For those with young kids you can’t beat the Planet Ice Gillingham Toddler Time sessions when they lay on toys both on and off the ice, plus have vehicles you can ride around the rink like cars and scooters. Awesome! A terrific way to get the little ones accustomed to the environment before they start trying to master the more formal fare.
If you haven’t skated before there’s no need to worry, they offer friendly tuition in their Learn To Skate courses for children and adults to get started on the ice together. Plus Penguin skate aids are available to hire for those who want some steady company! They are a large and very heavy item on big wide skates that slide along steadily in front of you with you holding on to the handles.